Immigration Visas For Victims of Crime


If you have been the victim of a crime, it can seem almost impossible to escape the perpetrator. Sometimes, you must flee far from the criminal in order to protect yourself and your family. The United States government recognizes this dilemma, and it offers special immigrant visas for victims of crime.

Of course, many people are aware of seeking asylum in the US The US will grant asylum to people who are suffering from terrible upheaval in their own countries, such as genocide or unfair attack from the government. If a person's own government does not give them the treatment that they deserve, you can seek asylee status.

Additionally, the US offers special visas to those who are charged at the hands of a US citizen or green card holder. For instance, if your abusive spouse is a US citizen while you are not, you can apply for visas that allow you to break away from the cycle of abuse and live on your own.

However, not all crimes can be pigeonholed into one of these two categories. For instance, if you are a victim of rape, sexual assault, human trafficking, etc., you may be unable to seek justice in your own country. In these cases, you can apply for an immigration visa as a victim of crime.

There are two types of visas provided by the US government for those who suffer in a crime. First, T visas are reserved for those who are victims of trafficking. If you have T non-immigrant status, you can remain in the US while law enforcement officials investigate the crime. Next, U visas are for people who have suffered from physical or mental abuse because of a crime. As with those who hold T visas, people with U non-immigrant status can stay in the US and aid investigators and candidates who are assigned to their case.

When you suffer from a crime, you deserve the opportunity to seek justice. However, you may have to come to the United States to do so.

David S Caldwell